Fun Dog Facts
Fun stuff for dog lovers.
Here are some fun and interesting dog facts. See how much trivia you know about man’s best friend. Did you Know…
- A dog’s heart beats between 70 and 120 times a minute, compared with a human heart which beats 70 to 80 times a minute.
- A dog’s normal body temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
- A female carries her young about 60 days before the puppies are born.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the smallest dog on record was a Yorkshire Terrier in Great Britain who, at the age of 2, weighed just 4 ounces.
- The longest lived dog, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was an Australian Cattle Dog, named Bluey, who lived to be 29.
- An adult dog has 42 teeth.
- It is a myth that dogs are color blind. They can actually see in color, just not as vividly as humans. It is akin to our vision at dusk.
- If never spayed or neutered, a female dog, her mate, and their puppies could produce over 66,000 dogs in 6 years!
- The only sweat glands a dog has are between the paw pads.
- In 1957, Laika became the first living being in space via an earth satellite
- The world’s smartest dogs are thought to be (1) the border collie, (2) the poodle, and (3) the golden retriever.
- Chocolate contains a substance known as theobromine (similar to caffeine) which can kill dogs or at the very least make them violently ill.
- Dogs’ sense of hearing is more than ten times more acute than a human’s
- More than 1 in 3 American families own a dog.
- Dogs don’t like rain because the sound is amplified and hurts their very sensitive ears.
- The ten most popular dogs (AKC, 2007) are in order:
Labrador Retriever, Yorkshire Terrier, German Shepherd,
Golden Retriever, Beagle, Boxer, Dachshund, Poodle,
Shih Tzu, and Bulldog.
- Dogs were the first animals domesticated by people.
- A greyhound can run as fast as 45 miles an hour.
- Spaying/neutering your dog before the age of 6 months can help prevent cancer in your dog.
- Puppies acquire a full mouth of permanent teeth between four and seven months old.
- Small dogs live the longest. Toy breeds live up to 16 years or more. Larger dogs average is 7 – 12 years. Veterinary medicine have extended this estimate by about three years. However, some breeds, such as Tibetan terrier live as long as twenty years.
- Eighty percent of dog owners buy their dog a present for holidays and birthdays. More than half of them sign letters and cards from themselves and their pets.
- The dog name “Fido” is from Latin and means “fidelity.”
- The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world.
- Most pet owners (94 percent) say their pet makes them smile more than once a day.
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible.
- It has been established that people who own pets live longer, have less stress, and have fewer heart attacks.
- All dogs can be traced back 40 million years ago to a weasel-like animal called the Miacis which dwelled in trees and dens. The Miacis later evolved into the Tomarctus,a direct forbearer of the genus Canis, which includes the wolf and jackal as well as the dog.
- Seventy percent of people sign their pet’s name on greeting cards and 58 percent include their pets infamily and holiday portraits, according to a survey done by the American Animal Hospital Association.
- A dog’s whiskers are touch-sensitive hairs called vibrissae. They are found on the muzzle, above the eyes and below the jaws, and can actually sense tiny changes in airflow.
- The origin of amputating a dog’s tail may go back to the Roman writer Lucius Columella’s (A.D. 4-70) assertion that tail docking prevented rabies.
- Dogs can smell about 1,000 times better than humans. While humans have 5 million smell-detecting cells, dogs have more than 220 million. The part of the brain that interprets smell is also four times larger in dogs than in humans.
May 3rd, 2011 at 10:24 pm
jofewufh hehe nice. dogs are cute.
June 6th, 2011 at 3:07 pm
Chow Chow’s have blue tongues. The Chines believe that chow chows licked away the clouds and some of the sky was left on their tongues.
October 20th, 2011 at 2:52 pm
October 20th, 2011 at 2:54 pm
i love dogs aint that right avery
December 11th, 2011 at 9:28 pm
i luv dogs more than i do people
January 13th, 2012 at 7:51 am
yo guys i 2 luv dogs……………………. n i lykd dat chow-chow fact
January 24th, 2012 at 7:06 pm
Goldens are not the third most intelligent breed, GSDs are on the list as number three.
March 4th, 2012 at 4:53 pm
i adore them and this is the best thing ever
whats the best thing ever
its the dog
there soooooooooooooooooo cute
March 12th, 2012 at 3:58 pm
wow these facts are cool xxxxxxxxxxx
April 11th, 2012 at 11:00 pm
HI my name is danyelle and i am in the 5th grade and these facts are so good that i got an a and my teacher says that he tell everyone about this site
April 13th, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Thank you very much! Congratulations on getting an “A”
April 25th, 2012 at 9:37 am
I absolutely love dogs (cats aren’t as affectionate)
This is such a cool website!
April 30th, 2012 at 9:55 am
i have four dogs thay r delightful
April 30th, 2012 at 10:00 am
hi its me again and im in fith grade i got a a+ on it this is the best website i luv dogs
April 30th, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Thank you Holly
July 9th, 2012 at 6:53 pm
My customers love this site. I always share info with them.
July 18th, 2012 at 8:54 pm
I love dogs and love reading about them but I think this is one of the best websites I’ve been on
July 29th, 2012 at 10:01 am
These facts are great I really thought that dogs saw in black n white. Thanks
August 29th, 2012 at 11:46 pm
i love dogs so much i have a dog named lola and every night she takes all the covers =) i got to love her =)
September 4th, 2012 at 9:35 pm
i lov this site
October 14th, 2012 at 8:21 am
golden retrievers are the 1st most intelligent breed!!!!!
October 30th, 2012 at 11:03 am
Hi! These facts are so cool..especially the ‘dogs not seeing in black & white’ part.
November 16th, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Chow Chows have are the only breed with 44 teeth! 😀
November 18th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the BiBLe! WOW! cats aren’t mentioned even once!
December 17th, 2012 at 12:07 pm
Can’t believe cocker spaniels aren’t in the top 10 for intelligence, my little spaniel has more brains than my kids!
December 17th, 2012 at 10:35 pm
December 17th, 2012 at 12:09 pm
sorry i meant top 3
February 4th, 2013 at 6:43 am
I just love reading these cool facts of dogs.
March 25th, 2013 at 4:02 am
really cool facts 😛
April 17th, 2013 at 5:41 pm
I luv dogs! GR8 facts 😀
April 29th, 2013 at 1:52 pm
May 17th, 2013 at 4:17 pm
Awesome facts!!! I esp love the fact about why dogs don’t like rain. I know many people who wonder why that is, and now I can tell them the reason for it. 🙂 Some of these facts are also great for convincing parents to like dogs more (or to let you have one) :):):)
May 31st, 2013 at 10:03 am
dogs are so cute i love them so much. they are so cute/ i love them so much. i grow up wityh dogs
June 9th, 2013 at 8:14 am
I have 2 boxers and a cavalier and i love them so much
June 25th, 2013 at 1:41 am
HEY THE DOGS ARE SO CUTE!!!
April 19th, 2016 at 9:22 pm
I luv dogs and have two a rottweiler and a pit the rottweiler is named maximus and pit is named lady
July 30th, 2016 at 6:07 pm
Dogs are my favorites 🙂 I have a golden retriever puppy now. 🙂
February 1st, 2017 at 6:56 pm
These are some awesome dog facts! Thanks for sharing them.
May 25th, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Love these awesome dog facts! I’m a huge dog lover so I really enjoy them. Thanks for sharing.